Wednesday, August 8, 2012

From Russia with Love... and a Little Rain

A few months ago, Martin started planning his trip to climb Mt. Elbrus (one of the 7 summits) located in Russia.  He casually mentioned that I should come along because, "When would we ever have the chance to visit Russia?"  Pretty soon the conversation evolved into, "Let's do eastern europe" while we're over there.  

Martin asked me to put together an itinerary and then we could decide if this was even doable.

Well, that is just what I did.  I not only planned out our trip, but I put together all the costs that would be involved for the trip, driving directions to all the cities I wanted to see, and I included highlights of each of the cities.  I presented the plan to Martin and we decided together that we needed to make this happen.

Granted, I know what you're thinking--this has already been a pretty busy summer for the Frey family.  The thing is, Martin and I know that it is now or maybe never.  Since Lily still isn't walking and while she is still little, we can easily pack her around Europe, up and down steps and in and out of narrow streets.  The bigger she gets, the harder it will be be to take her to the tops of beautiful cathedrals and buildings all over the world.

So here we are!  Beautiful Saint Petersburg, Russia!

I am in awe of this city.  It is pristine and lovely with hundreds of years of history.  I have loved racing from one building, museum or cathedral to another.  Even more, I have loved just roaming the streets and taking in all the sites.
Triumphal Staff of the General's Staff.
We are just about to go into the Hermitage, Saint Petersburg, Russia.  Lily is all smiles.
Martin flew out last week to start his expedition.  Which meant, I had to fly out with Lily all by myself to St. Petersburg. Even better, Martin's group did St. Petersburg last week, then started their climb.  I didn't want to miss out on St. Petersburg, so Lily and I flew here to walk around the city for a few days before we meet Martin in Moscow tomorrow.  So far this trip has felt more like, "100 Years of Solitude" than any Dostoevsky or Tolstoy novel.  I don't think I have said more than 30 words in the past two days.  I forgot what it was like to walk around an unfamiliar city all by oneself.  It hasn't been terrible, but I am really looking forward to meeting up with Martin tomorrow in Moscow just so I can have a conversation!

Here are some highlights of our time in St. Petersburg so far.

First, Lily and I strolled through the Alexander Garden that leads up to the Hermitage (museum).  Below, I believe this is a bust of Nikolay Przhevalsky (who was a famous geographer in his time).  I wanted to take a picture of the explorer's bust along with the camel, but found that there were many people lined up to get a picture with Nikolay and the camel.  So I just snapped a few with the folks included because it became kind of comical while I was waiting.
Lily enjoying the park.

After the park, Lily and I went to St. Isaac's Cathedral where I had to throw Lily in her backpack and lug her up 262 steps.  I was so tired from climbing that I forgot to take a photo at the top.
Lily in front of the cathedral.

Lily in front of the cathedral doors just as we were about to climb all those stairs!

Jet lag starting to set in as we wait outside in the rain to get into the Hermitage.
Full-blown jet lag.
Now, this is why I came to Russia!  
I wanted to see the Church of the Savior on the Spilled Blood.  It's real name is, "Church of the Resurrection of Christ."  The church was built on the site where Czar Alexander II was assassinated in 1881.  Hence the term, "Spilled Blood."  

This was a site to behold.  I have never been so amazed with the colors and architecture.  It really was so beautiful.

Unfortunately, no pictures of Lily in front of the cathedral since she was still fast asleep in her stroller.
What's not to love about this photo?  When I first saw the bride, I wanted to snap a photo of a Russian bride outside of the church.  However, when I saw her take a drag, I just had to snap a photo.

I can't explain in words how magnificent the Hermitage was.  Rooms and rooms full of beautiful paintings.  We only spent 4 hours in the museum because I was anxious to get to all the other famous sites around St. Petersburg.  I really could have spent an entire day going from room to room.  It really was amazing to see such a collection all under one roof.  I'll spare you the 182 pictures that I took while  strolling through the halls of paintings... but just know, it was amazing.

I am SO glad that I decided to come visit this city (even if I was alone with no one to talk to).  It has been worth it, and I am so grateful that Lily was able to come along with me.

***************
MT. ELBRUS.  CHECK!
This just in... Martin just called me to let me know that he summited Mt. Elbrus today!  Wahoo!  That is number 5 of the 7 summits!  I am so proud of him for being able to accomplish this.  I always think in the back of my head, "If he doesn't make it, I'm not letting him go back for a second attempt," but so far, he has had success with all his climbs.  Whew.

So Lily and I are off to Moscow tomorrow to meet up with Martin and begin our european trip as a family.  I am so excited to have this adventure and hope to have a chance during our trip to let you peek in on it.  The itinerary is packed full of fun places to see and I am anxious to see if we get to all of them.  Regardless, this will be a wonderful time for Martin and me... and our little Lily.


P.S. I am suffering from severe jet lag.  I found free internet and am typing away before I lose it.  So if there are more typos than usual, just know that I'm a little sleepy, I'm on borrowed time and that my brain is slowly shutting down.