Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Moscow

After one of the most difficult airport transfers I have ever experienced in my life in Saint Petersburg, I safely made it to Moscow.  

Now for Moscow...

Nothing can describe how beautiful Saint Basil's cathedral is upon entering Red Square in Moscow.  The onion domes of each church that surrounds the main church and make up the entire structure are each unique and equally beautiful when compared to the next.  In fact, legend has it that Tsar Ivan IV (Ivan the Terrible) had the architect blinded so that he could never re-create the masterpiece anywhere else.

Ever since I was a young girl, I'd see pictures of the cathedral and be mystified by what it must be like to see such a structure in real life.  I still can't believe that I got to be there, seeing it up close, in person.  I loved it so much that I had Martin take me back after our city tour ended because it is such an incredible sight.
Entering Red Square
The city of Moscow is beautiful and carefully planned.  Martin and I found Moscow to be very advanced, progressive AND clean.  In fact, clean beyond belief (at least the parts that we visited).  I felt perfectly safe as we roamed the streets taking in the beautiful buildings that surround the Kremlin.  In fact, I found it almost strange that there is absolutely no loitering in the parts that we toured.  There were no homeless in the streets that you often see in big cities and I never felt like I had to clutch tight to my purse.  Again, I am sure homelessness and theft occurs as it does in any big city, but it was no where to be seen in both Saint Petersburg and Moscow.

This is only a small portion of what we saw within the Kremlin.  Each church and building kept me in awe the entire day.
I wish I could show you every picture I took of each place that we went.  Honestly, I couldn't snap enough photos... But it's late, we are already behind MY schedule, and more importantly, I'm exhausted.  

A few things before I end this post.  If you are or want to plan a trip to Russia, know that it isn't cheap.  After purchasing your tickets, you have to get a Visa which can cost upwards to $400 per person.  Plus, the process to obtain one is tedious.  My application took me almost two hours to complete.  Lots and lots of questions.  As far as costs, the hotel's are very similar to the costs in the US, but where it really hurts was in the food.  At breakfast one morning, I ordered a pineapple juice for Lily and it was $10!

In fact, while we were at Red Square, I wanted to go to the Bosco cafe because I had heard about it from a friend.  Our pitcher of lemonade cost us $37 US (granted, it was mighty tasty!).  One night, I ordered a salad and later we figured out that it was the most expensive thing on the menu.  

It amy have been a hefty penny, but the experience was all mine!
I would say that if you ever get the opportunity, do not pass up Russia.  I loved every moment that I was there.  I still can't believe that I got to experience such a beautiful country deep in traditions and culture.  You gotta go!

P.S.  Thank you, Yana for your great itinerary.  I think I did everything you suggested and then some.

Up next, Prague!