Sunday, November 6, 2011

Saturday Roundup

Our First Winter Storm

Early Saturday morning, we got a ton of snow in the canyon AND since we live next to the canyon, WE got a ton of snow at our home! 

Martin left early to go ice climbing with some friends, and from there, he was going to head over and take a class on avalanche and safety.  The class would take him the rest of the afternoon. Which meant, I had ALL day to do whatever I wanted.  But what?  First snowfalls make me lazy.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get back to sleep after Martin left, so finally I thought I would go for a walk in the snow storm at around 6:30am.  Lily loves to be in the elements.  She handles cold well and squeals when she sees snow.  I couldn't wait to wake her and take her outside into the winter wonderland.  She loved it, and while we were out, I took a few photos around my house of all the snow.
About an hour and a half later, Martin called and said he was finished ice climbing earlier than expected and had a little time before his avalanche class.  He said he was on his way home and ready to snuggle and get warm by the fire. I always love a snowy Saturday morning after a long and busy week.  
  
Did I mention how much I love this time of year?
***************

Ladies Who Brunch and Evenings with Friends
I decided that it was time to see some friends this past week—so I threw a little brunch together at the last second at my house and had some of my gals come over for a visit to eat some quiche & bagels, but mainly just to talk.  

During the brunch, I got to see new babies, hear funny stories and visit with each one of my friends. It is always so nice to visit with others who can talk back to you (in a good way) and carry on an intelligent conversation.  Oftentimes, I find that it's just me and Lily during the day, and although I'm not lonely, I could use an intelligent conversation here and there. These girls do this for me. 

I know that what I am saying is nothing new, but I highly recommend getting together with the gals\pals, just for a couple of hours, to recharge yourself.  It always helps to remind me how to be a good friend even in the midst of a child with special needs, responsibilities, work and a husband. I don't try to make it perfect (Friends won't judge you even if it isn't), and it does wonders for the mind and soul. 

...And thanks "T" for sticking around a little longer so that I could play with Clementine. T's real name is, Tonia, but we like to give ourselves DJ handles when speaking to one another. Tonia and I enjoyed watching this with each other and had a good laugh.  And yes Tonia, this is the Winter of Knit. You can explain that one on your blog since you coined it.  Thanks for being my soul sister.
***************

Friday night, Martin and I went to the Utah Technology Council banquet thinking we'd hear from Larry Ellison; however, Larry backed out last second so we got to hear from Mark Hurd, President of Oracle.  It was very good, but I would have loved to have heard Larry speak. (Nice purple background in his head shot, hey?) 
He cleans up well, doesn't he?
(...And that is not the true color of my hair. hmmm.)
Oh well, at least I got to hold my friend, Maryann's, new little 3-week-old baby girl, Sasha, throughout the evening.  Oh, I love those sweet little slices of heaven.  I often wonder if the reason Lily isn't talking is that she still remembers her life before this one, and isn't at liberty to fill me in on what happened before we came to this earth. I always wonder when she gives me the eye. Like, "Momma, don't you get it?"  

Speaking of, the "eye." Of course, every time I hold a baby I want one. INSANELY, OUT OF MY MIND kind of want one. Then I give Martin the "eye" and he tries to just not make eye contact with me.
                                                                 ***************.  

After Martin left for avalanche training, Lily wanted nothing to do with her regular morning rituals. Like... breakfast.  I tried feeding her dried apples, but she wanted nothing to do with them.  Then I tried bananas. Nope.  I move on to Cinnamon Toast Crunch and she just let it sit on her tongue as it hung out of her mouth in disgust.  Then I attempted CHEETOS!  Bleh!  I didn't even attempt the staple: oatmeal and peanut butter. This kiddo was having nothing to do with breakfast or me. I spoiled her too early, I should have let her sleep in like I would have wanted to have done.

So, I did what every desperate parent would do.  I turned on her "babysitter."  By that, I mean her babysitter of choice these days, Yo Gabba Gabba!  Lily has become quite the groupie for Gabba!  She really can't get enough of it.  She responds well to music and colorful characters, of which, Gabba! has both.

First, I had to wrestle with my 28 pounder with herculean effort to get her into her Stander. I mean, if she is going to watch the tube, I need to make some use of the time. Once she was in, I reached for the remote, and quickly clicked through cable as fast as I was able to find anything that just spelled G-A-B-B-A! Anything!  Ahhhh.  The heavens opened, and I found it.  Thank you Nick Jr., who ever you are.  
Just as the music started, all crying disippated and she turned around to me and just smiled.  Amazing!

Yo Gabba Gabba! comes to Salt Lake this week. Looks like I am going to have to get off my keister and get down to the ticket office and buy us some tickets. Unfortunately, the online ticketing system has been spooling for 4 days making it impossible to purchase online.  But for this kid and her love for DJ Lance Rock, Muno, Foofa, Brobee, Toodee and Plex, it will be worth every penny to see that little two-year-old's head sway off beat to the music.  Can't wait.
***************.  
I hope you all have a wonderful and restful Sunday with your families.  Enjoy.  I know I will.