Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I Don’t Multi-task

Lily enjoying the sunlight while I garden.
The other day, I was heavily involved in a project when Martin walked in the room soliciting my help for something that needed to get done and then proceeded to list step-by-step instructions on how to accomplish it. As he started to list off each step, I continued on with my task. At that moment, Martin stopped mid-sentence and said, “Kym, you need to pay attention to me; these instructions are pretty complicated.” I told him to go on - “I was listening” - while I continued on with my project. He stopped again and said jokingly, “No, Kym. You know you aren’t a very good multi-tasker, so I really need you to stop and listen.”  Laughing at his comment, I stopped what I was doing and LISTENED while wondering if there was some truth behind what he had just said. It all made sense at that moment, THIS must be the reason why I haven't blogged for awhile! Apparently, I don't multi-task!  And well, I've also had a few things on my plate.

Our first trip to Primary Children's hospital last week. 
So I am sorry if it’s been awhile. It really hasn’t been intentional. In fact, I have really loved my blog and feel like it has opened the door to many discussions about Lily that I would have never had without it. Through it, I have rekindled friendships with old friends and found new ones.  It has been grand!  More than anything, I have loved reading EVERY SINGLE comment in my inbox, on my blog, and on my Facebook page from all my lovely, lovely friends both near and far. I have felt your support, been lifted, and have loved that you have all enjoyed hearing about the adventures of Miss Lily and our little family.  

I really should have expressed my gratitude sooner, but again, I blame it on the fact that I don’t multi-task. I just can't do two things at once.

So here's a list of what I have been up to while I was away from cyber-land. Let’s see, I…

1.     Took Lily to various doctor’s appointments three times in three different directions last week.
2.     Took her to occupational and speech therapy once and sat in on both of her physical therapy appointments at home.
3.      Helped Martin give two “Everest Presentations” last Tuesday and Wednesday night. (I’m the “opening act” of sorts.)
4.     Wrote the Primary program for the children in our ward (congregation) to perform at church in November and burned a CD of the music for each of them to use to practice the songs.
5.     Cleaned out the garage by sweeping the floors, lining up shoes, shifting boxes, stacking boxes, and organizing Christmas ornaments, bikes, gear, tennis balls, skis, shovels, rakes, snow blower (and then shifting more boxes). Then I took two whole carloads of donations to the thrift store.
6.     Cleaned out our food storage room, moved all the old cans forward and all the new cans to the back, organized food groups, vitamins, matches, flashlights, blankets, plastic bags…you get the picture.
7.     Washed all the windows at our house, inside and out.
8.     Cleaned all our wood floors and stairs. Oh, the blasted stairs!
9.     Weeded the garden.
10.  Cut back all the shrubbery in our front yard.
11.  Cleaned out the front pond that was loaded with leaves. (Not fun.)
12.  Picked at least five lbs. of tomatoes in my garden.
13.  Took Lily to the park twice.
14.  Went down to my mom’s, who lives about 30 miles from my home, to keep her company one night and also took her out to dinner with my little sis, Chelsey.
15.  Helped Martin put the boat away in our garage for the winter. (If anyone has been present for this feat, they know how particularly taxing this can be on our marriage, so I count this as a huge accomplishment.)
16.  Played tennis with Martin one night and got injured the first 15 minutes while I was just warming up. Figures. I limped around for 3 days.
17.  Took a vegetarian cooking class.
18.  Cooked two vegetarian meals for dinner. (Since doing this means having to actually think about the ingredients while cooking, again, I count this as huge.)
19.  Went to the post office.
20.  Attended one baby shower and two birthday parties.
21.  Had lunch with my friend, Tonia and played with her new baby girl, Clementine. 
22.  Finalized our plans for Thanksgiving and booked all our activities for that week. FUN!
23.  Celebrated Constitution Day while watching the BYU vs. Utah game. OUCH!
24.  Drove 20 miles out by the airport through endless stop lights on a hot day to return my brother's cable boxes back to Comcast Cable. When I got there, I had to stand in line for 15 minutes while holding Lily. Finally, I got to the front of the line with boxes and baby in hand only to realize that the cable boxes were from a different cable company! Argh!!
25.  Finished reading a book and started a new one.
26.  Paid the bills and wrote out a budget.
27.  Cleaned out Lily’s closet. She is getting so tall way too quickly!
28.  Oh, and did I mention that I also hosted my mother-in-law for eight days?

And of course, there are the weekly runs to Costco, then later to the grocery store to get what I forgot to get at Costco. I cleaned the house a few times, loaded and unloaded the dishwasher a million times, went to church as always, went to church meetings before going to church as always, worked out whenever I found 40 minutes, did over a dozen loads of laundry, blew my hair dry almost everyday (I always consider this to be work), ran endless errands not worth mentioning along with all the other duties that come with my definition of being a good person, wife, and mother.  

That just about sums up what I have been up to for the last two weeks or so. Again, it was never intentional that I didn’t have a moment to blog--I've just been kinda busy. And may I remind you, I don't multi-task all that well.
------------
P.S. It should be noted that I wrote this post while watching a documentary about Dolly Madison, boiling noodles for dinner, and feeding Lily. Honestly, that Dolly was one AMAZING woman.
------------
P.P.S. I’m not a vegetarian.
The many fruits of my labor in more ways than one. 

Ask me where anything is, and I can tell you!